What About Bob?
Bob Baker is an author, speaker, musician, and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes through their artistic passions.
He is the author of the highly acclaimed Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook, which appeared in the major motion picture The School of Rock, starring Jack Black and Miranda Cosgrove. (See screenshots of that scene here.)
Bob also created the Music Marketing 101 course, which ran for five years at Berklee Online, the continuing education division of Berklee College of Music in Boston.
CD Baby called him “The Godfather of Independent Music Marketing.” Bob is also an adjunct professor in the music department at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, MO.
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, “Bob Baker is one of the most widely recognized authorities on music marketing. A prolific writer, Baker is regarded as one of the industry’s leaders in helping musicians leverage online web and marketing strategies to boost their careers.”
He has appeared in the media on NPR’s “Morning Edition” and “Marketplace” and in such publications as Electronic Musician, Music Connection, The Guardian in the U.K., Canadian Musician, Publishers Weekly, VIBE magazine, E! Online, and even The Onion!
Bob’s most popular books, audio programs and online courses:
- Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook
- Guerrilla Music Marketing Online
- The Five-Minute Music Marketer
- The 9 Irrefutable Laws of Music Marketing
- The Empowered Artist
- The Passion Principles
- The Magnetic Cash Flow Formula Course
- Social Media Music Marketing Made Easy
- 19 Cash Flow Strategies for Songwriters, Musicians and Bands
- Music Publicity Insider’s Guide
- How to Make Money as a DIY Artist
- Holiday Music Marketing
- 30 Ways to Become an Empowered Artist
- Word-of-Mouth Marketing Workshop (How to Create Viral Buzz)
- Unleash the Artist Within: Four Weeks to Transforming Your Creative Talents Into More Recognition, More Profit and More Fun
- 55 Ways to Promote and Sell Your Book on the Internet
- The DIY Career Manifesto: The Unconventional Guide to Turning Your Talents and Know-How Into a Profitable Business
- Branding Yourself Online: 10 Steps to Creating a Potent Personal Brand Identity on the Internet
Here are a number of places where Bob has been interviewed or featured in the media:
NPR’s Marketplace – Listen at the 2:38 mark. Bob comments on the strategy that One Direction used to pre-sell their new album, in a segment produced by David Weinberg.
Publishers Weekly – Bob is quoted in the article “DIY: How to Build Buzz for Self-Published Books” by Alex Palmer.
The Guardian (UK) – Bob is quoted in a story on virtual record labels by Johnny Black.
The Huffington Post – Bob is quoted in the article “17 Lifestyle Fanatics Share Their Secrets to Success” by Jeff Steinmann.
Mashable.com – Bob is quoted in the article “How to Run Your Career Like Beyonce” by Samantha Cooney.
Entrepreneur.com – Bob’s book excerpt Which Social Media Sites Make Sense for You? ran on this high-profile site.
Hack the Entrepreneur – Host Jon Nastor interviews Bob about The Power of Constructive Impatience.
Music Marketing, Creativity & the Empowered Artist – A fun interview with Ross and Marcio on their “Bridge the Atlantic” podcast.
Indie Music Marketing Strategies with Bob Baker – “TechMuze” podcast with Dezz Asante.
Succeeding at Multiple Creative Passions – “Make Creativity Pay” podcast with Leanne Regalla.
3 Simple Steps to Effective Music Marketing – The “Acoustic Living” podcast with Ryan Spearman.
Music Marketing Minutes podcast with Billy Grisack.
How to Achieve Success with Your Passions – The Sharon Ballantine Show.
The Go Fire Yourself podcast with Laurel Staples.
The How to Quit Working podcast with Jeff Steinmann.
NPR’s Morning Edition – Bob comments on “Clear Channel: Swap Exposure for Royalties,” a segment produced by Neda Ulaby.